Gå till innehåll
Just nu i M3-nätverket

I want to move beyond troubleshooting!

Gäst Geek

Rekommendera Poster

Hi folks! :D

For the last few weeks I've been reading tons of posts related to all kinds of problems with installing, upgrading and using the Mac OS etc. - and when I add on my own "user adventures" I get a STRONG feeling that these problems can't be isolated to be software issues only. I have tested all the versions of Jaguar on my "old" G3 MT AV - and they have ALL worked just fine ...no big problems at all. I had some speed/firmware related problems after installing 10.2.6 - but they're all history now. Let me add that it's running on a 3 party processor, and that seem to have caused these temporary problems. I also have a 3 party UltraWide SCSI chain installed, and only 192Mb of RAM ...works just fine! :-) ...all the versions of OS 8 and 9 seem to work just great as well! I really wish I could say all this about my new G4 Quicksilver Dual 1 GHz too - but one word stands out here - INSTABILITY! ...and I fair that the reason for all this is to be found in poor hardware - many options comes to mind here ...poor design, poor production line or maybe they've been cutting corners?! I'm not posting this to pick on Apple, I really want to get to the bottom of this. My work is professional audio - and I've used Mac's for years, but something changed dramatically at the point where the Quicksilver's and MDD's where introduced. Sure they offer more options, and the speed is great - but I'm sorry to say that when comparing them with "older" G4's and G3's I get the same "feeling" as when I compare @#%!!!- and professional audio equipment.

As I want to move beyond spending time on troubleshooting and testing, and get back to the point where using Mac's was both fun and gave great results - I very much welcome both meaningful and constructive feedback on this post.

Thanx - Erik :)

Sorry for bad English ...it's not my native language :D:D

PS. I posted this on the Apple Discussions a few days back ...but it didn't live long - they pulled it before it got to be 1 hour old! ...what are they so afraid of ...the truth?! :huh::(

Länk till kommentar
Dela på andra webbplatser

I suggest you check your ram modules to see if they are OK. I had a lot of problems with instability when I upgraded to a new machine here at work (DP 867). Mainly unexpected program- and finder crashes. I could count up to 20-30 crashes a day.

I used the utility on one of the Mac OS CD’s that came with the computer to check the ram modules. After testing them a few times I came to the conclusion that one of the modules sometimes generated errors so I took it out and the computer has run stable ever since.

Länk till kommentar

Hi buddy! :) ...thanx for well meaning suggestions.

Nothing wrong with RAM etc here - it's all been tested ...in every possible way. I still fair that this has to do with poor hardware quality ...motherboard etc.

Read this, it's gives you an idea on what's going on these days.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@....22@.599b8bf7/4

..."think different" ...think again :) :)

Erik

Länk till kommentar

You will always get a few percent of machine that has problems. It could very well be that the factory that assembled your machine got bad parts. It's never fun when that happens. The problem is that if it *IS* a hardware problem, then you need to contact an Apple Support station. If you live in Sweden and Stockholm, try LAN-Master. One of the best there is in Sweden and also one that Apple themselves uses.

Länk till kommentar

You will always get a few percent of machine that has problems. It could very well be that the factory that assembled your machine got bad parts. It's never fun when that happens. The problem is that if it *IS* a hardware problem, then you need to contact an Apple Support station. If you live in Sweden and Stockholm, try LAN-Master. One of the best there is in Sweden and also one that Apple themselves uses.

It is almost impossible to be random problems. If I don´t understand wrong, it was a lot of computers, which had problems.

In the link, Geek posted, it was writen, that they have 30 Macs, and it is more than one that have problems, that don´t be solved by reinstall the system.

I think the problem is some software, that be installed after the reinstallation of the system, that make the computers to crash.

Or, it is some hardware problems caused by something, that is nearby the company, maybe some dust.

Have the computers been tested with the Apple hardware test discs?

Länk till kommentar

........but one word stands out here - INSTABILITY! ...and I fair that the reason.........

Sorry for bad English ...it's not my native language :D:D

What´s your native language?

It seems that you can read and understand swedish.

You used the word "fair", I think you mean "fear", is that right?

how many wrong words do you find in my text? :D

Länk till kommentar

I did understand it as that Geek meant it was an ongoing problem and not just a problem with his own Dual G4. Maybe I was mistaken.

Länk till kommentar

Well Mr Geek, What are you getting at? There are a lot of users here on this forum, and they are to some extent using newer hardware. Me, for instance, I am using a QS 733 with extra ram, 2 hdd and lots of software and I have never (except when I installed mlmac) experienced any problems, I am shure many share my good experience. I´m sorry your in a sour position, but suggesting that Apple has some major issues with their newer hardware is not making sense. If they were, there would be raging reactions among all Apple users around the world. Especially in forums such as this, or the international Appleinsider.com. Further more, magazines around the world, writing, almost exclusively, about Apple products, such as Macworld, would have noticed this issue, and obviusly they have not. So once again, What are you getting at? And, as have been asked earlier in this thread, what is your native language?

Best regards Knugge

Länk till kommentar

Arkiverat

Det här ämnet är nu arkiverat och är stängt för ytterligare svar.

• Skapa nytt...